After five decades of rocking, Pete Townshend says the end of The Who’s “amazing journey” is near.
In a new interview with the London Evening Standard, the rocker says the band will call it quits after touring for their 50th anniversary in 2015.
“For the 50th anniversary we’ll tour the world. It’ll be the last big one for us,” he told the Standard. “There are still plenty of places we’ve never played. It would be good to go to eastern Europe and places that haven’t heard us play all the old hits.”
But don’t expect these lifelong rockers to stay away from music for long, as an insider told the publication that both Townshend and The Who’s singer, Roger Daltrey, have solo projects in the works.
Next up, the band is also releasing a special-edition box set of Tommy next month. On November 12, a remastered edition of the iconic album will be reissued in the U.S., along with 18 previously unheard live tracks, according to Yahoo.
With a little more than two years left to go in their touring days and no upcoming shows on the books, here’s hoping that The Who are already hard at work planning their next tour.
Are you bummed that The Who is only planning to tour for two more years? Do you think the decision will stick? Let us know in the comments section below!